Run&Shoot Filmworks and Facebook know that people have the power to change the world. Together, we invite the creative community to help shape the world in a positive way through the combination of civic engagement and film. Creativity is KEY so have FUN!
Filmmakers are asked to submit a 3 minute Public Service Announcement (PSA) treatment that demonstrates the impact and significance of voting.
The proposed piece must show how the power of voting and civic engagement can ignite creativity, passion and social change. From these treatments, three submissions will be selected as semifinalists and given funding to complete production. Upon completion, these three films will compete for a grand prize.
Contest is open to accepted filmmakers of the 2020 Martha’s Vineyard African American Film Festival. Treatment submissions must include a logline, artistic statement describing the creative vision for the project, detailed budget and shooting schedule.
The budget can not exceed $7,000
- Submit a short treatment that demonstrates the impact of Civic Engagement. The 3 minute treatment must show how the power of civic engagement can ignite creativity, passion and social change. Threatment submission is FREE and only 1 entry per person. Topics can include: 1) why voting is important 2) local elections and their impact 3) what does civic engagement mean to you.
- Three (3) semi-finalist will receive $7,000 to support the creation of a complete work.
- From the three semi-finalist, one (1) Grand Prize will have their completed piece presented on all MVAAFF social channels.
- From the three semi-finalist, one (1) Grand Prize winner will receive a $5000 Grand Prize.
Rules & Terms
Our Voice, Our Vote PSA Competition
Entrant Agreement and Official Rules
Concept: Filmmakers will submit a 1 -2 page treatment for a 3 minute PSA that demonstrates the impact of Voting. The submission must demonstrate how the power of civic engagement can ignite creativity, passion and social change. Three of the submissions will be selected as semifinalists and awarded $7,000 in funding to complete production. Following completion, these three documentaries will compete for a grand prize of $5,000 .
Guidelines: Contest is open to accepted filmmakers of the 2020 Martha’s Vineyard African American Film Festival. Initial submissions must include a logline, synopsis, treatment and an artistic statement describing the creative vision for the project as well as a detailed budget. All submissions must be submitted via the following online link: mvaaff.com/competition.
Winner Selection: Judges from Run and Shoot Filmworks will score each concept submission based on originality, creativity, story idea, characters, tone, visual style and marketability. The Grand Prize Winner will be selected based on how well the filmmaker(s) executed their proposed concept and achieved the goal of demonstrating how the power of sport can ignite creativity, passion and social change.
Awards will be given as follows:
|Number of Winners||Award|
|Number of Winners||Award|
|(1) Grand Prize Winner||
Process and Rules:
- Entrants must submit 1 page proposal for a 3 minute PSA treatment that demonstrates the impact and importance of voting. The treatment must show how the power of civic engagement can ignite creativity, passion and social change.
- Entry period begins September 7th, 2020. All submissions must be received by Run and Shoot Filmworks on or before September 21st, 2020 at midnight EST. All submission must be submitted via the su
- Run and Shoot Filmworks will review all submissions and select three Semifinalists. Judges will score each submission based on originality, story idea, characters, tone, visual style and marketability as well as filmmakers’ potential. Each Semifinalist will receive a prize of $7,000 to support the creation of a complete documentary work. The prize will be awarded in two installments: half of the funds will be given upon Semifinalist notification at an agreed upon check-in date, assuming sufficient progress has been made; and the final payment will be issued upon delivery of the final approved product.
- Semifinalists will be notified by September 30th, 2020. The process of issuing payment to Semifinalists will be initiated by Run&Shoot Filmworks, Inc. upon notification and acceptance. The first award payment amount will be $3,500
- On or around October 1, 2020, each Semifinalist must submit evidence of sufficient progress toward a complete PSA. This can be accomplished by providing Run and Shoot Filmworks with a video via a file sharing format. Upon receipt of such evidence, a final payment of $3,500 will be made to each Semifinalist.
- Each Semifinalist must deliver their complete PSA work to Run and Shoot Filmworks with a video link via a file sharing format on October 15, 2020.
- Upon submission of the final video, each Semifinalist will receive a final payment of $3,500 on approximately October 16th.
- From the 3 final PSA submissions, Run and Shoot Filmworks will choose one (1) Grand Prize Winner. The Grand Prize Winner will receive a cash prize of $5,000.
- The Grand Prize Winner will be notified on October, 18th 2020.
- All decisions of Run and Shoot Filmworks are final.
- Each Semifinalist will retain ownership of copyright in and to the Semifinalist’s PSA (each, a “Work”). However, each Semifinalist grants Run&Shoot Filmworks, Inc, a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide license to use, not use, cease using, reproduce, publish, edit, translate, modify, excerpt, adapt, distribute, make derivative works of, publicly perform, and publicly display the Semifinalist’s Work, alone or as part of other works in any form, media, or technology, whether now known or later developed. Each time a Semifinalist’s Work is so used, Run&Shoot Filmworks will use reasonable efforts to attribute the copyright to the Semifinalist.
- Each Entrant represents and affirms that Entrant is the sole owner and creator of the Entrant’s submission. Each Semifinalist further represents and affirms that: (1) the Semifinalist has the full right to submit and license the Work to Run&Shoot Filmworks has provided herein; and (2) the Work is the original work of the Semifinalist, that the Work is not libelous, and that the Work does not violate the copyright or other intellectual property rights of any third party.
- Run&Shoot Filmworks is not responsible for returning any submissions.
- Each Semifinalist will and hereby agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Run&Shoot Filmworks, the Colorado Board of Regents and the State of Colorado and its and their employees, agents and affiliates for, from, and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, expenses, and penalties caused by or arising out of the Semifinalist’s breach of any of the Semifinalist’s representations regarding the Work set forth in this Entrant Agreement.
- If a dispute arises with respect to the Competition, Entrant will exhaust all applicable administrative remedies provided for under the Colorado Board of Regents Policy 3-809.
- This Agreement will be governed by the laws of the State of Colorado without regard to any conflicts of laws principles. Run&Shoot Filmworks, Inc. obligations are subject to the regulations/policies of the Colorado Board of Regents. Any proceeding arising out of or relating to this Agreement will be conducted in Arapahoe County, Colorado.
Video: 2 Chainz x When We All Vote